Today was a long one...good, but long. I should probably go to bed instead of write this, but it's basically been my only down time today. I need that time to sit alone with my thoughts. Although, I am a people person, so I don't need nearly as much time alone as non-people persons (?! lol) do. : )
So today I had meeting after meeting. AND, in between meetings, I was preparing for meetings! I have the awesome privilage to be mentoring one of the girls that lives on campus. We meet weekly and go over books I'm having her read and scripture she is meditating on. We talk about what's gone on that week and I ask her accountability questions. I am blessed that she wants to take the time to do this with me from week to week. I really enjoy our times together!
Another meeting we had was for the Scripture Meditation group I have on campus. We met weekly all last semester and this semester we have added 2 new people. I know I have said this before, but meditating on God's word has had such an incredible impact on my life. It is the means by which we learn to listen to the voice of God. It is my date time with Him. All too often I have talked His ear off, never gave him the floor, and then couldn't figure out why He wasn't speaking. I don't think that is an uncommon practice. Truth be told, a relationship cannot be nurtured without both parties communicating. Communication involves listening. Donny and I have been married for 4 and a half years now and we work very diligently to communicate well with one another. It often fails! We are still learning each others language. It takes time. But I'll tell you this, I know his voice! We were walking into his Starbucks today as a car pulled up to the drive through. I wouldn't have flinched a bit but I heard Donny's voice and I instantly brought my ears to attention. When he speaks I want to listen. I can't help but be called to attention a little when I hear the sound of his voice. I think we need to know God's voice that well. We just also have to realize that hearing His voice is just the beginning. Once we know it's Him that is speaking, we also have to learn how to understand what he is saying to us. Donny and I both speak English...but sometimes I wonder! How is it that we can both say the same sentence and we will mean two completely different things by it? Often Donny has said something, and after seeing my facial expression he will stop and say "WAIT! What did you just hear me say?!!" Meditating on God's Word helps me to learn from Him and understand what he wants for me. Last semester we had some amazing moments and realizations together. I'm looking forward to seeing what God does in our lives this semester. Isn't it crazy awesome that God even wants to communicate with us? I mean, honestly, how incredible!
I had a Hall Meeting with the residents today too. But as this post is getting pretty long, I'll call it quits and try to get some shut eye : ) Thanks for reading. I hope its been a good new year for you so far.
I love your husband-wife language barrier illustration. And it's SO true!
ReplyDelete